[Supervised by Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM)]
This English course offers ...
- Video lessons with English subtitles.
- Attachments in English.
- Whiteboard descriptions subtitled in English.
" Comprehensive - Light " course has no feedback.
The main difference " Comprehensive Course (Standard) " has versus "Comprehensive Course (Light)" is that the Standard version has 5 feedback from instructors. In both versions, the lesson videos and attachments are all the same.
You are welcome to try out some of our videos and attachments in the "FREE TRIAL" course.
< Description in whiteboard >
SUMMARY & GOAL
A complete comprehensive course that will teach you how to draw Japanese-style manga.
Being able to draw doesn’t mean that you can draw manga-style professionally.
Drawing manga is different than just doing illustrations.
When drawing manga, your goal is to give stories expression using drawings set in a panel layout.
This course offers a curriculum that even beginner artists could complete. You will be able to start drawing your story in manga-style from the 1st panel to the last, even if you have never attempted drawing a manga once..
This is a complete "Manga Drawing" comprehensive course that will mainly explain how to draw manga-style panel layouts, tips on how to make a story with a manga-style, etc.
With this course you will be able to resolve issues you may be having, like:
- It’s difficult to make a short manga story because all the manga we see feature “long” stories.
- You want to draw a particular scene but you are tired of thinking about how to get there and how to continue your story after that.
- You have a complete story but have trouble drawing panel layouts.
In addition, in our lesson "Basic Drawing Tips", we will give you advice on how to make your story more manga-like and show you the tools professional Manga artists use when creating a traditional manga by hand. Our "Digital manga" lesson will explain what tools and programs manga artists are currently using to make manga.
The curriculum "Manga Drawing Comprehensive Course" is a complete course used to learn basic manga drawing in a general aspect.
- Feature : Authentic curriculum supervised by a professional manga college in Japan!
- This is an authentic curriculum from the Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM), which is one of the best manga college in Japan and has cultivated over 100 professional manga artists since 2000.
We will teach lots of know-hows and tips which can not be obtained by only reading textbooks!
Our courses are very easy to understand because our instructors are very knowledgeable and experienced. With their guidance you can efficiently learn how to draw manga.
Let's learn how to draw Japanese-style manga!
This course will be helpful for both complete beginners and those who already have some experience drawing manga, as it will help you improve your basic manga drawing skills and resolve your problems.
The goals of each lesson are detailed below.
Learn about panel layouts and character creation.
Learn to make a 16-page manga manuscript.
Basic Drawing Tips
Learn basic manga-drawing tips.
Learn how to use specific manga-making tools.
Learn how to create manga-like expressions for your characters.
Learn how to create a two-page manga manuscript with both characters and backgrounds.
Learn the differences between creating digital and traditional manga drawings.
Learn how to use basic digital manga drawing software and how to export your work.
Reference 1: How to Use Drawing Software
Learn how you use “CLIP STUDIO PAINT”, one of the most popular digital drawing softwares.
If you are interested in learning how to use this program, we recommend this lesson.
* These lessons are provided by Celsys Inc.
Reference 2: How to Draw Traditional Manga
Introduction of the tools and equipment used when drawing manga traditionally, and basic usage of these.
Note: These lessons are intended for artists who want to draw manga by hand. If you prefer to draw digitally, you can skip these lessons.
* Please check our special page for "Manga Drawing / Comprehensive" courseFREE
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR?
- People who would like to draw manga, but do not know how to do it.
- People who have already drawn manga, but would like to learn from professional instructors.
- People who want to learn manga drawing at their own pace.
- People who prefer learning manga drawing through an institution.
- People who would like to learn seriously, but there is no manga drawing institution in their country.
- People who would like to learn in an institution, but give it up because of high tuition fees.
- People who aim to be a professional manga artist, assistant or designer. (*)
* The main goal of this course is not to cultivate professional manga artists, but to learn how to draw manga-style as soon as possible.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Manga drawing tools (some inking pens, pencils, papers, rulers, etc) *1
- Graphic Software *2
Although you do not necessarily need the indicated drawing tools, we recommend them because they enhance your learning experience.
Our "Digital Manga" lesson requires the program "CLIP STUDIO PAINT (CLIP STUDIO PAINT EX: with free trial)" made by CELSYS Inc.
If you choose to use any other drawing software, it will be difficult to follow our lesson properly.
INTRODUCTION VIDEO : 1
Foreword Before Starting the Course 02m51s
Manga Basic VIDEO : 16 Task / 5 times
Getting Started Course Instruction 07m05s Tutorial 1 Manga Page Analysis 11m10s Tutorial 2 Roles and Types of Panels 10m19s Tutorial 3 Panel Layout Practice 1 08m52s Tutorial 4 Panel Layout Practice 2 Task 1 05m16s Tutorial 5 Panel Layout Summary 09m16s Tutorial 6 Story Writing 1 13m32s Tutorial 7 Character Creation 1 -Main Character and The Purpose 16m09s Tutorial 8 Character Creation 2 -Minor Character Task 2 07m41s Tutorial 9 Application: World Building 07m21s Tutorial 10 Story Writing 2 Task 3 08m58s Tutorial 11 Storyboarding 1 -Basis of Page allocation 08m08s Tutorial 12 Storyboarding 2 -Drawing a Name Task 4 06m21s Tutorial 13 Manuscript 1 -Pencil Outline 10m08s Tutorial 14 Manuscript 2 -Inking Process 10m38s Tutorial 15 Manuscript 3 -Finishing Touches & Corrections Task 5 10m52s
Basic Drawing Tips VIDEO : 13 Task / 1 time
Tutorial 1 Straight Ruler Lines 12m34s Tutorial 2 Curved Ruler Lines 10m55s Tutorial 3 Character Lines 07m57s Tutorial 4 Screentone 18m57s Tutorial 5 Borders, Filling, White-out and Brush pens 15m56s Tutorial 6 People and Motion Lines 11m10s Tutorial 7 Natural Objects, Near and Far 16m18s Tutorial 8 Man-made Objects, Near and Far 07m44s Tutorial 9 Drawing Preparation 16m17s Tutorial 10 Humans 19m16s Tutorial 11 3D Shapes and Shadows 18m05s Tutorial 12 Perspective 20m02s Tutorial 13 Completed Manuscript Task 5 11m53s
Digital Manga VIDEO : 12
Getting Started Course Introduction 05m29s Tutorial 1 Software Features and Basic Tools 18m09s Tutorial 2 Sketching, Panels and Figure Tools 19m17s Tutorial 3 Inking, Backgrounds and Perspective Ruler 07m34s Tutorial 4 Composition, Effect Lines and Ruler Tool 13m20s Tutorial 5 Fill, White-out and Screen Tone 07m33s Tutorial 6 Inserting Dialogue and Exporting 07m05s Tutorial 7 Course Introduction (Vertical Scrolling Manga) 02m01s Tutorial 8 Understanding Vertical Scrolling Manga (Vertical Scrolling Manga) 11m06s Tutorial 9 Storyboard Creation (Vertical Scrolling Manga) 08m32s Tutorial 10 Drawing Pointers (Vertical Scrolling Manga) 12m37s Tutorial 11 Conclusion (Vertical Scrolling Manga) 02m33s
Reference 1: How to Use Digital Tools VIDEO : 6
Reference 1 Let's get ready 19m55s Reference 2 Let's create an illustration 42m34s Reference 3 Let's create a manga 1/2 28m36s Reference 4 Let's create a manga 2/2 60m33s Reference 5 Creating a monochrome manga for print 06m55s Reference 6 CLIP STUDIO PAINT useful features 37m27s
Reference 2: How to Use Analog Tools VIDEO : 6
Reference 1 Tools Name & Purpose of Use 11m58s Reference 2 Manuscript Paper 04m52s Reference 3 Using Tracing Paper 06m52s Reference 4 Making a Double-Page Spread 04m24s Reference 5 Desk Layout 03m42s Reference 6 Using an Inking Pen 07m54s
*This course does not include guides about coloring because it is focused on techniques used in manga pages and the ability to show expression throughout a story.
STANDARD STUDY PERIOD
- Standard study period：5 months
* The deadline will be 60 days from the last day of standard study period.
Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM) is...
An applied Professional Postsecondary Institution approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan.
One of the biggest Manga College in Japan, with a high debut rate of professional manga artists (over 100!)
- Certified on teaching beginner artists from basic level to professional.
- Has a library with over 30,000 books on Manga learning.
- Lots of students debut while in school.
- Provides a fruitful curriculum to help you become a professional manga artist.
Continuously Debut artists from JAM!
“Manga Drawing Comprehensive Course” Supervisor
- GM from Manga & Animation Business Promotion Department of JAM (Present).
- Former Vice Principal of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Artists Kei Natsumi, Naoki Kodama and Mia Katagiri are her former students.
Message from Yumi Takahashi:
Although reading manga is lots of fun, drawing manga is even more pleasant.
Of course, there are tough times, but that's what's fun about it.
I hope you can feel the fun of drawing manga.
Professional Manga Artist. Instructor of the “Manga Creator Course”, Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- After being employed at a certain supermarket, he debuted with a robot-themed manga.
- He is skilled in many different manga-drawing styles and is knowledgeable about their differences.
Message from Naoki Kodama:
Manga is an extension of doodling.
Everything starts from that.
Let's draw together casually!
Instructor in Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Alumnus of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM), Manga Creation Department.
- After working as an assistant for multiple manga artists, he now works as a manga artist himself.
- He is an expert in background perspective and loves motorbikes.
Message from Hiroshi Ito:
You can express yourself freely with manga.
There are also things you can only express with manga.
I hope you have fun studying!
SAMPLE MANGA ARTIST
Introduction of the manga artist and author of "Nekotaro"
Professional Manga Artist
- Graduated from Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Mainly works drawing the manga "Dragon Quest".
- Debut work「I'm あ 総理 (I'm a sori) (3rd Manga Grand Prize of SQUARE ENIX: Semi-Grand Prize and Special Recognition Award by Hiroshi Arakawa).
- 王様の耳はオコノミミ (Osama no Mimi wa Okonomimi) (9 volumes) / SQUARE ENIX
- うみねこのなく頃に (Umineko no Naku Koro ni) episode 1 - Legend of the golden witch (Drawing) (4 volumes) / SQUARE ENIX
- うみねこのなく頃に (Umineko no Naku Koro ni) episode 3 - Banquet of the golden witch (Drawing) (5 volumes) / SQUARE ENIX
- うみねこのなく頃に散 (Umineko no Naku Koro ni san) episode 8 - Twilight of the golden witch (Drawing) (9 volumes) / SQUARE ENIX
Message from Kei Natsumi:
Try drawing yourself, don’t satisfy with just watching!
Starting to draw is the first and most important step of drawing manga!