We will stop accepting applications for this course on August 22, 2019. Please see here for details.
This English course offers ...
- Video lessons with English subtitles.
- Attachments in English.
- Whiteboard descriptions subtitled in English.
- Ability to submit your assignments in English.
- Receiving feedback from the instructors in English.
SUMMARY & GOAL
Someone being able to draw doesn’t mean that they can draw manga.
There’s a difference between drawing pictures and creating manga.
Drawing manga means to give stories expression using drawings set in a panel layout.
Our Manga Drawing Advanced Course is for those who already have some experience creating manga. It explains in simple terms what you need to think about and tips and tricks of the trade to make your manga more interesting.
In our coloring course, we will teach you about using digital painting software, how to use their tools and the methodology behind enhancing your art through colors.
Learn to use digital tools to create a color illustration and add the finishing touches.
Have you ever panicked because you can’t think of an idea for an illustration, felt lost when choosing a color palette, or finished a drawing only to feel there’s something off about it?
In this course, professional illustrator Natsumi Yamada will show you the practical methodology of illustration and coloring while explaining the entire process, from coming up with an idea to the completion of your piece.
You will learn how to use convenient digital tools that will make your workflow efficient and the techniques behind drawing in a purposefully expressive way rather than intuitively..
- Special feature 1: A professional course from an accomplished school!
- Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM) has produced over 100 professional Mangaka (Manga Artists) since its opening. Now, you can take their classes in video form.
The classes are packed full of essence of the trade and workplace know-how you can’t get from reading a book!
With this professional course from an accomplished school and taught by experienced tutors, you will not only gain motivation, but learn effectively and deepen your understanding of manga creation.
- Special feature 2: Individual instructions from tutors with feedback! Create your own original manga and aim for your professional debut!
- This course isn’t just a series of videos for you to watch, you are also given three practical assignments by your tutors.
After you submit them, your tutors will give you feedback (advice on how to improve your skills) and grading results.
If you’re a self-taught manga artist or studying with the goal to go professional, let us help you improve your manga creation skills and teach you how to resolve any issues you may have.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
- Those who want to learn how to make their manga more interesting.
- Those who have tried creating manga, but had setbacks before completion.
- Those who taught themselves to draw manga and would now like professional education.
- Those who want to learn how to draw manga while working or studying.
- Those who want to attend a professional school, but can’t because of distance.
- Those who want to attend a professional school, but can’t afford to.
- Those aiming to be a Mangaka (Manga Artist), writer, or character designer.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Digital painting software.
* In this course we will use Adobe Photoshop, but you can use any software with the same functions (e.g. Free trial of CLIP STUDIO PAINT ).
Getting Started Course Introduction and Goals 01m37s Tutorial 1 About Photoshop 06m01s Tutorial 2 Production Process 17m46s Tutorial 3 Getting Started with Color 14m05s Tutorial 4 Linework and Correction 19m02s Tutorial 5 About Color 17m57s Tutorial 6 Painting 13m27s Tutorial 7 Color Application and Other Tools 12m28s Tutorial 8 Course Task Task 03m05s
- Standard Study Period : 2 months
* The deadline will be 60 days from the last day of standard study period.
- Watch all the lessons.
- Complete one task within the course term.
Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM) is...
An applied Professional Postsecondary Institution approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan.
One of the biggest Manga College in Japan, with a high debut rate of professional manga artists (over 100!)
- Certified on teaching beginner artists from basic level to professional.
- Has a library with over 30,000 books on Manga learning.
- Lots of students debut while in school.
- Provides a fruitful curriculum to help you become a professional manga artist.
Continuously Debut artists from JAM!
“Manga Drawing Advanced Course” Supervisor
- GM from Manga & Animation Business Promotion Department of JAM (Present).
- Former Vice Principal of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Artists Kei Natsumi, Naoki Kodama and Mia Katagiri are her former students.
Message from Yumi Takahashi:
Although reading manga is lots of fun, drawing manga is even more pleasant.
Of course, there are tough times, but that's what's fun about it.
I hope you can feel the fun of drawing manga.
Full time illustrator and part-time instructor in Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Alumnus of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM), Comic Illustration Department.
- Portrait artist for TV and events.
- Natsumi Yamada has held many different individual and group exhibitions.
- She teaches coloring techniques using a variety of materials.
- She is a creator with many talents including not only illustration, but also stage costumes and prop designs.