We will stop accepting applications for this course on August 22, 2019. Please see here for details.
This English course offers ...
- Video lessons with English subtitles.
- Attachments in English.
- Whiteboard descriptions subtitled in English.
- Ability to submit your assignments in English.
- Receiving feedback from the instructors in English.
SUMMARY & GOAL
Learn the tips and tricks to drawing fascinating manga.
Someone being able to draw doesn’t mean that they can draw manga.
There’s a difference between drawing pictures and creating manga.
Drawing manga means to give stories expression using drawings set in a panel layout.
Our Manga Drawing Advanced Course is for those who already have some experience creating manga. It explains in simple terms what you need to think about and tips and tricks of the trade to make your manga more interesting.
Have you ever had difficulties applying standard drawing techniques, using photo references, adding small objects or backgrounds that are so particular to the manga drawing style?
Where is it best to add in effects, where should you use backgrounds or where should you use screentones?
A good use of background composition and effects will make your manga more lifelike and expand your range of expression.
In this course you will find lessons that will teach you about how to add basic backgrounds and effects to improve the quality of your manga.
We’ll first explain how to draw manga traditionally. Before attempting to make modern traditional manga, it’s best that you learn and understand how manga is drawn traditionally, without relying on digital materials or photo manipulation. After this, we’ll focus on useful do's and don'ts when using digital software.
- Special feature 1: A professional course from an accomplished school!
- Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM) has produced over 100 professional Mangaka (Manga Artists) since its opening. Now, you can take their classes in video form.
The classes are packed full of the essence of the trade and workplace knowhow you can’t get from reading a book!
With this professional course from an accomplished school taught by popular tutors, you will not only gain motivation, but learn effectively and deepen your understanding of manga creation.
- Special feature 2: Individual instructions from tutors with feedback! Create your own original manga and aim for your professional debut!
- This course isn’t just a series of videos for you to watch, you are also given three practical assignments by your tutors.
After you submit them, your tutors will give you feedback (advice on how to improve your skills) and grading results.
If you’re a self-taught manga artist or studying with the goal to go professional, let us help you improve your manga creation skills and teach you how to resolve any issues you may have.FREE
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
- Those who want to learn how to make their manga more interesting.
- Those who have tried creating manga, but had setbacks before completion.
- Those who taught themselves to draw manga and would now like professional education.
- Those who want to learn how to draw manga while working or studying.
- Those who want to attend a professional school, but can’t because of distance.
- Those who want to attend a professional school, but can’t afford to.
- Those aiming to be a Mangaka (Manga Artist), writer, or character designer.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Manga supplies (specialized pens, pencils, paper, rulers etc) and/or illustration software.
Although you do not necessarily need the indicated drawing tools, we recommend them because they enhance your learning experience.
YYou can create and submit your tasks using the free trial of CLIP STUDIO PAINT by Celsys, Inc.’s or another software.
Getting Started Course Introduction 04m08s Tutorial 1 Background Effects 15m01s Tutorial 2 Drawing Techniques 15m12s Tutorial 3 Effects and Objects- Preliminary Sketch 22m44s Tutorial 4 Effects and Objects- Inking 27m56s Tutorial 5 Effects and Objects- Finishing Touches Task 1 22m32s Tutorial 6 Backgrounds- Preliminary Sketch 45m31s Tutorial 7 Backgrounds- Inking 20m13s Tutorial 8 Backgrounds- Finishing Touches Task 2 21m37s Tutorial 9 Background Composition- Summary 12m38s
- Standard Study Period : 4 months
* The deadline will be 60 days from the last day of standard study period.
- Watch all the lessons.
- Complete 2 tasks within the course term and get a passing score.
Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM) is...
An applied Professional Postsecondary Institution approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan.
One of the biggest Manga College in Japan, with a high debut rate of professional manga artists (over 100!)
- Certified on teaching beginner artists from basic level to professional.
- Has a library with over 30,000 books on Manga learning.
- Lots of students debut while in school.
- Provides a fruitful curriculum to help you become a professional manga artist.
Continuously Debut artists from JAM!
“Manga Drawing Advanced Course” Supervisor
- GM from Manga & Animation Business Promotion Department of JAM (Present).
- Former Vice Principal of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Artists Kei Natsumi, Naoki Kodama and Mia Katagiri are her former students.
Message from Yumi Takahashi:
Although reading manga is lots of fun, drawing manga is even more pleasant.
Of course, there are tough times, but that's what's fun about it.
I hope you can feel the fun of drawing manga.
Part-time instructor in Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM).
- Alumnus of Japan Animation & Manga College (JAM), Manga Creation Department.
- After working as an assistant for multiple manga artists, he now works as a manga artist himself.
- He is an expert in background perspective and loves motorbikes.
Message from Hiroshi Ito:
You can express yourself freely with manga.
There are also things you can only express with manga.
I hope you have fun studying!